I have moved into the Raven Building! The new studio is awesome. This building was built in 1897 as a schoolhouse, which supported nearly 400 students. Lots of bricks and wood and windows and high ceilings. Here’s a shot of Lauryn, who convinced me to go inside and take some photos for her Senior Portraits last year. I’m indebted to her for that, as it convinced me that this is the place for incredible photos. Here she sits in a windowsill. Ahh, the light…!
I’m looking for a few models to help me figure out the room. If you are interested in hanging out for a bit and getting some great images taken in this cool place, let me know. Here are the details:
- Shoot date tentatively Sunday 1/31/10 – starting about 2PM until after dark. I need a mix of day and dark shots to figure out the light and reflections.
- I’ll be getting a variety of natural light and full studio lighting shots with backdrops. You may be in either or both.
- If you are under 18, a parent will need to accompany you.
- Your session will last around 1/2 hr to 1 hr.
- You get – for FREE – a bunch of digital files, an 8×10, a couple 5×7’s and two wallet sheets. And bragging rights of course…
- I’ll need a model release from you and/or your parental unit.
Sounds like something you would like to do? Send an email to email@example.com. I’ll let you know if we can get you into the schedule!
Today I got the keys for my new studio space. Located in the Raven building in Suite 101, it has perfect north-facing windows, which provide wonderful diffused illumination for natural-light photography. It has great wooden floors, high ceilings, and a killer brick wall. This building was an old school building, and has tons of character and history.
Here’s a view from the doorway facing North. Look at all that light! (Don’t look at the cheesy furniture…they are on the outs.)
Facing south. You can’t get better light than this for portraiture.
The east corner has the windows and the brick wall, and a floor that will shine up quite nicely.
Closeup of brick wall. You know me and bricks…this is serious!
It needs just a bit of cleaning, but it will be a perfect space for portrait photography, seminars, consultation and hanging out. It will be a wonderful meeting spot and indoor portrait spot for my summer seniors, family portraits and pre-wedding bridal photography. It’s also 20 feet from some of the best graffiti in Erie.
I’m going to post a call for models in a few days. Once I get the place cleaned up, I’m going to do some test shoots with willing participants, in exchange for some prints and digital images.
I’m also planning a February indoor portrait marathon as a fund raiser, most likely for an agency that supports the relief effort in Haiti.
Stay tuned…lots more “Raven 101” to come!
Can you tell I’m pumped? I’ve been waiting for this for over 5 years!